Masters in Social Work Externship
The Women’s Center offers Clinical Social Work externships to students of any gender who are enrolled in master’s degree programs in social work. The training generally takes place in the Vienna, VA office.
The externship requires 16-20 hours per week.
Individual supervision is provided by licensed clinical social workers.
The program includes the following:
- Intake coordination duties include scheduling clinical appointments for new clients and answering crisis calls
- Six to eight hours of psychotherapy per week
- Weekly seminars, taught by supervisors and other clinical staff
- Group and/or workshop co-leadership, when available
- Group modality seminar – group process, theory, & techniques
- Weekly supervision group lead by supervisor
- Monthly in-service training
Sessions & Applications Deadline
|Internship/Externship Session||Application Deadline|
(January - August)
(May - December)
Fall/Spring Semester (September-April)
How to Apply
Cover Letter (with intended start date)
One Letter of Recommendation from a Professor
Two letters of Recommendation from Supervisors
Send Required Materials To
Clinical Training Manager
133 Park Street, NE, Vienna, VA 22180
Phone: 703-281-4928, #444
Please contact, Janet Kimberling, Ph.D.,
Vice President of Clinical Services
Phone: (703) 281-2657
(Licensed by the Virginia Board of Examiners in Psychology)
We’re dedicated to addressing the diverse needs of women, men, couples, and families through counseling, career, mediation, financial, and domestic violence and sexual assault services.
Looking for a meaningful way to give back to your community? We welcome your gifts and talents to help us meet our mission. Find out about several different volunteer opportunities that we offer.